Free JVM's and OOo

Hi Chris,

I have been negotiating with Kay Ramme of Sun about removing all proprietary sun* java code from OpenOffice.org, and requiring only open source java classes with JDK 1.3.1 (or earlier) level features for all new java projects accepted into in OOo.

In return, I am hoping we can work to build all of OOo with a free JDK's systems using jikes, kaffe, gcj, etc and thereby help keep java projects as part of Debian, and RedHat's version of OOo.

Kay has asked for a list of the "problem" classes (non-open source) being used in OOo currently (i.e. sun* classes and ?) in 645 or 680 trees.

If I am remembering properly (at least I think it was you), you or someone from Debian once tried the build with the free jdks and ran into proprietary (non open source) java classes.

Is there anyone there who is familiar enough with OOo and the free JDK's that can repeat that process and try to provide us with a target list of proprietary classes/jars that need to be removed and/or replaced in the hopes that in the 680 timeframe we can find replacements for these to help enable the use of free JDKs in the building and running of OpenOffice.org

Thanks,

Kevin