Re: lame newbie query: spellcheck, dictionary and word-completion

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 01:22, Josh Robinson wrote:
> Apologies if this is the wrong forum for posting this: please tell me if
> I should redirect to -user. I have been using OOo for about a year: 6
> months on a PC, then 4 on RedHat and now 2 on Debian. I'm currently
> using 1.1.0 on a mixture of Sarge and Sid.

Are you using our packages or did you install parts yourself, and what
version are you using?  This information is important for us to be able
to help you efficiently.

> My (perhaps relatively lame) query: whether I select US or UK (my
> preference) English as the document language, I am unable to check the
> 'OOo Myspell Spellchecker' box in the 'Writing Aids' section of the
> 'Language Settings' under 'Options'. More accurately, I can check the
> box, but when I return to the same screen after pressing 'OK', it
> returns to its previously empty state.

Is this a problem with your installation, or your understanding of how
the spellchecker works?  Please read this bug report, which started off
in a very similar way:

I don't really know what you mean about the box.. normally you should
not have to do anything in the 'Wrting Aids' section.. it should 'just
work' when you install the spellcheck dictionary (myspell-en-uk in your
case) and restart OOo.

> Similarly (and i don't know if these problems are connected), the
> word-completion tool doesn't seem to wish to learn new words that I
> type. Each time i access a new part of the help file, it adds more
> entries to the list of possibilities, but not from the words I type.
> From previous experience on different versions, I imagine that this
> might be something to do with the words' not being recognised by an
> installed dictionary.

I've never looked carefully at the behaviour of the completion tool so I
hope someone else can help, or maybe you are right about it having
something to do with the dictionary.

> I don't know if this is because I don't have the relevant language
> modules installed: I have searched various combinations of 'UK',
> 'English', 'Spellcheck', 'language', 'language module' in both the help
> files and on the web (list-archives and more generally on Google) but to
> no avail. I have not managed to find how to check which language modules
> are installed, or how to install any others. And this may well be a red
> herring...

Just read through the description of the openoffice.org package...

$ dpkg -s openoffice.org
Package: openoffice.org
[...]
 You can extend the functionality of OpenOffice.org by installing these
 packages:
  * myspell-dictionary: Myspell dictionaries for use with OpenOffice.org
  * openoffice.org-help: User help
  * openoffice.org-thesaurus: Thesauri for the use with OpenOffice.org
  * openoffice.org-hyphenation: Hyphenation patterns for OpenOffice.org
  * ooqstart-gnome/oooqs-kde: Quick start applet for Gnome/KDE desktops
  * openoffice.org-mimelnk: OpenOffice.org MIME bindings
  * menu: Will add openoffice.org menu entries for every Debian window
manager.
  * unixodbc: ODBC database support
  * cupsys-bsd: Allows OpenOffice.org to detect your CUPS printer queues
     automatically
  * libsane: Use your sane-supported scanner with OpenOffice.org
 .
 See README.Debian for information about using OpenOffice.org in Debian,
known bugs and workarounds.  More information about the Debian packages
is available at http://openoffice.debian.net or join us on IRC
#debian-oo.

openoffice.org suggests all the packages you need.. did you actually
look at the suggests?  Another hint: 'apt-cache search openoffice'.