Openoffice, KDE, and l10n

Hi,

I just have prepared some debian computers for some people
on a beginners level, and I found the following problem:

I installed openoffice with german help and l10n packages, but
unfortunately, openoffice does not show a german user interface
or german help even if german is selected in
Tools/Options/LanguageSettings/Languages.

I found that openoffice uses german help/user interface only if
the environment variable LANG is set to de or de_DE .

Unfortunately, KDE does not propagate the language selected by the
user to the environment, and I do not want to set the LANG environment
to the same value for all users.

Do you know a good trick to have openoffice always use the language
selected by the KDE environment?

regards
Hadmut