GPC files not found!

I downloaded the Openoffice 1.0.2 tarball over the weekend.  The
configure step quickly comes to a screeching halt with the message
"GPC files not found."  I did an "apt-cache search gpc" and gpc has to
mean either "Gnu Pascal compiler" or "general polygon clipper."  I
installed all the packages, even the ones that were *not* development
packages.  I still get the same error message.

Someone please tell me what the tarball is looking for!

-Harold