a few other times, and I was wondering what the status of this bug is.

Seems to be the same bug as #172448 from about a year ago.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-openoffice/2002/debian-openoffice-200212/msg00239.html

It's also described at cvs.debian.org
http://cvs.debian.org/oo-debian-files/doc/README.Debian?cvsroot=debian-openoffice&rev=1.23

2. Normal height, menu bar looks like ' ___  ___  ___   __  __ '

 This is a problem observed with the current versions of libfreetype in
Debian.
 We have disabled the use of this libfreetype until we have determined the
 cause of the problem, but users of older version of the packages may see
this.

I'm running gnome2 and have libfreetype6 2.1.5-3 installed (I'm using the
most recent unstable version of debian for updates). I thought it might be
a problem of having too recent a version of libfreetype, so I tried
downgrading to libfreetype6 2.0.9-1 (the stable release) but this didn't
help.

One weird effect is that moving the text over the menus sometimes makes
the text temporarily appear. When it does, the font looks fine. But this
only works in certain places on the menus.

I tried installing xft (libxft2 2.1.2-4) but this didn't seem to make any
difference either. As for hardware issues, the only thing that I can think
of is that I'm running debian on my laptop through vmware, and I manually
adjusted the XF86Config-4 file to allow my screen resolution of 1400x1050
to work. To do this, I tweaked the screen resolution and the hsync rate.

Anyway, is this normal that I can't get openoffice writer to show menus
correctly? Or am I doing something wrong? Do I have to somehow manually
disable use of libfreetype?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Chuang