Re: Problems with /etc/openoffice/autoresponse.conf

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:02:40AM +0200, Rafael Osuna wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago I removed OpenOffice and I deleted the
> /etc/openoffice directory that had not been deleted with the "apt-get remove"
> command.
>
> Now, I have installed OpenOffice again without problems ("apt-get install
> openoffice.org" using Debian Sid). I have not got any installation error buy
> when I try to execute any of the programs in the suite I get the following
> error:
>
> root@host:~# oocalc
> openoffice.org: Damnit! I can't find OpenOffice's user files. Did you break
> the /etc/openoffice/autoresponse.conf file manually ?
> This file should contain DESTINATIONPATH

Okay, if you delete 'conffiles' by hand, Debian's dpkg and apt tools
will not default to replacing them when you (re-)install the packages.
It is assumed that you deleted the files for good reason.

In to order to replace them, I suggest you run the following command for
both the openoffice.org and openoffice.org-debian-files packages which
you should find in /var/cache/apt/archives

  dpkg -i --force-confmiss <file>

So, I might run:

  dpkg -i --force-confmiss /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-debian-files_1.0.3-2+1_all.deb
  dpkg -i --force-confmiss /var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org_1.0.3-2_all.deb

This should fix your openoffice.org installation.

In future, to remove such files from (say) /etc, you should either use
the --purge option to apt, or do dpkg -P or an already uninstalled
package. You can see what package owns the files by running dpkg -S
/etc/openoffice/autoresponse.conf (for example).

Regards,

Paul Cupis
--
paul@cupis.co.uk