Re: mimelnk clashes with koffice

Hi Ben,

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 02:56:03PM +1000, Ben Burton wrote:
> AIUI these files are bundled with koffice to support the import filters for
> openoffice.org documents.  The KDE versions of these files are essentially
> the same as the openoffice versions, with a different set of translations and
> a slightly broader pattern (*.sxw;*.SXW, etc.).

Sounds like the installed set should be improved then, whatever the outcome.

> My current plan is to simply not ship these files and let them be provided by
> openoffice.org instead.  However, if openoffice.org is merely providing these
> files as a convenience for KDE users then it may perhaps make more sense for
> koffice to provide these files instead so that koffice users who don't have
> openoffice installed will still have these mimetypes on their systems to
> assist with imports, etc.

Well, it's providing them as a convenience for KDE users who have installed
OOo and want to use OOo to open documents from KDE.  I'm no expert on this
subject so please correct me if wrong, but won't removing these files from
OOo break the associations for people who have OOo installed but no koffice?

Do we perhaps need to provide some common package that provides the files,
which is depended on by OOo and Koffice?