Re: Bug report: GNOME menus

Jérôme Warnier wrote:
This is clearly related to bug #168719, which covers only a part of my issues and solutions.

Those remarks should apply for any GNOME version as well as probably other graphical environment.

Jerome Warnier wrote:

Hello all,

I'm using GNOME (2.2) on Woody but this bug report should be applicable to all versions.

It's been a certain time since I wondered why OOo still appears in the "Others" submenu. I decided to finaly take a look at it. For me, OOo should appear in the "Office" submenu.

I found that package "openoffice.org" contains some files in "/usr/share/gnome/apps/net", while they should definitely belong to "/usr/share/gnome/apps/Applications", at least for the "not utilites" ones (i.e. spadmin). I suggest to give them the name of the script used to launch them, instead of their current one (ex: use "/usr/share/gnome/apps/Applications/oowriter.desktop" instead of "/usr/share/gnome/apps/net/textdoc.desktop".
It seems this has never been taken into account.
Please do so or explain why.

Moreover, if I take a look at the "textdoc.desktop" file I can see some major flaws in it (I may be wrong):
- "MimeType=xxxx xxxxx" should be separated by ";" and not spaces
It is still not fixed in 1.0.3.
- I don't understand or see any other lines "Version=xxx" in *any* other package
What are they for?
Version number has not changed between 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 (still 0.92) but the file itself has changed (see below).
- there should be a line "Categories=Application;Office;xxxxxxx" at the end, where "xxxxxxx" should be any of "WordProcessor", "Presentation", "Spreadsheet", ...
This one has not been taken into account either.

There is no need to "update-menus" afterwards, GNOME takes them immediately into account.
I'm not sure about this. It seems on some machines it does, sometimes not...
Maybe another package is involved into this? I don't know GNOME enough to tell it.

These should be a good start for a far better GNOME (1.4 or 2.x) integration.
All these suggested changes do not seem to impact GNOME 1.4.

Regards

It seems that some files changed between 1.0.2 and 1.0.3.
For example, /usr/share/gnome/apps/net/printeradmin.desktop in 1.0.2 is full of translations who no longer appear into 1.0.3 (even worse, every name in every language has been changed to "printeradmin" which is pretty much meaningless for me).
Same thing for setup.desktop.