Re: Installation

Hi Volker,

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:39:30AM +0100, Volker Sturm wrote:
> I installed OO 1.0.1 and will soon switch to OO 1.0.2. Is there a reason
> of why not to use the binaries that are provided at OpenOffice.org with
> Woody? I experienced a crash of OO 1.0.1 and KDE 2 on opening a document
> with lots of maths formulas. The crash does always occur when I load
> that file. Can I stick with the OO.org binaries or should I switch to
> the .debs?

It is up to you what you decide.  I have just updated the 'what's different
in the packages' section for the README, which may help you decide:

Introduction
============
Welcome to the OpenOffice.org packages for the Debian distribution.  These
packages are of the 1.0.2 release of OpenOffice.org, with the following
modifications:

  * Packaged as openoffice.org (architecture-independent common files),
    openoffice.org-bin (architecture-dependent binaries),
    openoffice.org-l10n-<lang> (language package for each of the 18 lanuguages
    available).

  * The 'network' setup has already been performed - starting openoffice
    will automatically run the user installation and select the user
    interface language.

  * Global configuration settings are found in /etc/openoffice

  * The non-free components have been removed:
        - Support for 3D shaded objects (GPC library)
        - LZW compression of GIFs, needed for 'save to html/web' features
        - Java runtime support.  Currently the packages must still be built
          with the blackdown JDK.

  * Integration with other Debian packages:
        - Global desktop integration for all users for KDE and Gnome desktops.
          Menu entries for all window managers that support the Debian 'menu'
          package.
        - Automatic integration of defoma fonts and several other popular font
          packages to be found in Debian.  Defoma integration needs
          the x-ttcidfont-conf package.
        - Will correctly find the system odbc and sane (Scanner access) libraries.

  * Some extra features not yet present in official releases:
        - s390 architecture support
        - Automatic user interface language selection based on the user's
          locale environment.

  * Extra documentaion specific to Debian - this README and man pages.

1.0.2-1 will be released into unstable today. The Woody backport will be
released a little later than the unstable version to allow us time to
confirm that the packages do not introduce any new problems.  If no new
problems are discovered I'll upload the Woody backport in about a week.