Re: openoffice.org_1.0.1-5_i386.changes REJECTED

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 05:38:07PM +0200, Chris Halls wrote:
> There are .src files in OOO, that are used to generate: a) resources
> files with translations b) header files with keys that are used by the
> program to access these resources. So splitting these .src files from
> the OpenOffice.Org source is not like splitting them from the binary.

[...]

> The OOo team is small (3-5 part time volunteers, and only 2 are actually
> building complete packages), and we need as much support as we can from
> upstream.  We're trying to keep the Debian-specific patches to a minimum so
> that they are willing to support user problems directly.  The .orig.tar.gz
> only has 1 change in 37000 files; the split that you suggested would touch a
> lot more.

[...]

> 1. Leave the packages as they are for now.  We will minimise mirror impact
>    by only uploading occasionally, [...]

> 2. Create two source packages: openoffice.org and openoffice.org-lang, which
>    would have the same .orig.tar sources, but perform separate builds. [...]

> 3. Do the split by project before uploading.  [...]

There's also:

2a. Create two source packages: openoffice.org and openoffice.org-l10n, the
    latter of which excludes all the files not necessary for building l10n
    stuff, and tweaks the build system so that doesn't break anything.

Would 2a make for a more reasonably sized source package than 2? Or is
most of the size of the source package in the files you have to use in
both packages?

Cheers,
aj