Re: OOo i386 build has -mcpu=pentiumpro by default!

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 06:18:16PM +0200, Chris Halls wrote:
> I have only just realised that upstream uses the flag -mcpu=pentiumpro
> during compiles, so our packages are built with this too.
>
> I'm not much of an expert about CPU optimisations.  How much of a problem is
> this?  Should I remove this from our package builds?  I'm surprised no-one
> has complained about this already.
>
> Chris

Using an Athlog 1G here.

Everything works fine and fast (enough). Apparently, using CPU-specific
parameters results in about a 5% speedup. That's the info that I got
from the Debian User ML recently. Apparently, there's a thread
discussing this in the context of compiling kernels.

Of course, this doesn't say how much the slowdown is for other
architectures, but my Athlon configuration is not affected and OO is
stable when used.

Though you are probably best off compiling without any CPU
optimizations. My feeling is that by its very definition a CPU
optimization must at some point hamper performance on other CPUs. After
all, it is designed to take advantage of features present in a specific
architecture. I don't know the specific differences between Pentium
Pro's and other chips, but the optimizations might be causing the
program to crash in rare cases on other chips.

-Andy