Re: linguistic split in kit (make it yourself;)

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 03:55:06PM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> Yes, I would like to see a release, as soon as possible. This way, it would
> be easier for me to be sure I have the same version than you.

I'll start a build and see how it goes.

Peter has fixed anon CVS, so you can get the debian directory out of CVS
again:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-openoffice
cvs login
[Press enter]
cvs -z4 get oo-deb

> > > I have the same problem for ca and fi here.
> >
> > Maybe those languages are not part of 1.0?
>
> I guess I need to dig into the source tree to understand it. I'll try to
> ask it on the right upstream ML.

I also don't see them on the list at:

    http://tools.openoffice.org/openoffice_lang.html

Maybe we should remove them from the list generated by
openoffice-xlate-lang -p all for now?

> The problem is that you need to see it builded even before dpkg-buildpackage
> is launched, which seems pretty impossible...

I've not deleted the file 'control' itself, and generating it from within
rules/clean means it is always present and up to date in source packages.

> > So that any language pack can be installed, English preferred.  I tried
> > uninstalling -en and installing -de, and got the user interface in German.
> > Also, the list of packages providing openoffice.org-l10 makes it easy to see
> > the available languages in package selection frontends.
>
> We would need a versionned depend only on the upstream version, not the
> package part of the version (ie "1.0.0" and not "1.0.0-4"). I have no idea
> if it's possible. We need to give a try if such a dependency is accepted as
> is.

1.0.0 is a valid dependency, I believe, although I'm not sure we need it.
The newer openoffice.org package can depend on whatever -i10n-xx language
version is necessary without us needing to specify an upper limit on the
package version now.

> ups, sure. Did you make sure that they are really arch-independent by
> testing them on ppc ? I guess that's another argument for a rapid release,
> so that people can test it...

No, I haven't checked yet although I'd be very surprised if they weren't
arch dependent.

> Please put this list somewhere in the README.Debian or such. It looks like
> parts of the dictionnaries, which is an issue i would like to care about
> once the interface is properly packaged...

Mm, good point; I'll add to TODO.

> Sorry for not using IRC these days, but I've the feeling that we speak more
> on it than on mails, and that less is done ;)

Hehe - well, speak is a nice way of putting it ;)  I'm trying to avoid
having that IRC window in front of me all the time too :)