Re: Tcsh dependency

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 09:58:55AM +0200, Emmanuel le Chevoir wrote:
> eeeeeeeek !
> Can't they simply be re-written in sh ? That's really annoying to need
> tcsh to simply _build_ openoffice.org. If you want help on porting these
> scripts to sh, I might be able to help you.

It's not all that difficult to do - it just needs time spending on it, along
with everything else...

I've been talking to Sander upstream, and they'd like to simplify the
current system that works like this:

 1. Run configure
 2. Configure creates set_soenv from set_soenv.1 and runs it
 3. set_soenv is a perl script that creates the environment file,
    such as LinuxIntelEnv.Set.  This is the file that contains csh
    commands.
 4. To bootstrap/build OOo, you have to source the environment file and then
    run bootstrap/dmake

There is an issue, #823, that moves all the extra stuff in set_soenv into
configure.in (converting it from perl to sh in the process), but it's out of
date and needs work.  And it still creates a csh file, so that needs
porting.

In the very short term, to change the env file from tcsh to sh is a case of
editing set_soenv to create a sh-compatible file instead of csh.  But since
that would involve changes to everyone's build scripts, it probably needs to
create both a sh and a csh script, to allow smooth migration of the build
setups people are using.  Have a look at config_office/set_soenv.1 to to see
where that file is generated.  Hopefully, if you can modify it to create
both a csh-compatible and sh-compatible script, we can get the patch
incorporated upstream fairly quickly and dump tcsh at last for our builds :)

Thanks,
Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany