Re: Debian Menus

Hi John,

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 11:12:41AM +0100, John M Cooper wrote:
> If I install OOo then run it for the first time from the menu then it
> will cause an error ( or run the setup in interactive mode?) which is
> what we are trying to avoid with the /usr/bin/openoffice script.
>
> I can suggest a couple of solutions to this problem.
>
> 1. Change all the menu items so that they invoke /usr/bin/openoffice
> with the private:factory/  addition tagged on the end. ( We may need to
> change the Openoffice script so that after it has run the setup program
> it then runs the soffice prog after so that the users does not have to
> press twice!)
>
> 2. Change the files in /usr/lib/openoffice/programs so that they use the
> /usr/bin/openoffice script

3. Modify the soffice script and put the auto-install hook in there instead
of in /usr/bin/openoffice.  Also, add command line options in there to use
gdb/strace if requested :)  Really, it's just a modified version of 2.

That way, we only have to modify one script instead of many, and the
soffice/swriter/... commands all work unmodified.  And, if we add
/usr/lib/openoffice/program to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in soffice, we can move all
those scripts to /usr/bin so users have them in their path, too.

We also need to add an spadmin script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH and calls
spadmin.bin.

I wanted to check on the discuss mailing list that upstream would not be
unhappy about this change before implementing it.  The command-line flags
for gdb/strace could maybe be integrated upstream if we sent a patch.

> Once we have this sorted I will have a go at the Debian menus if nobody
> else has started.

So, assuming we can modify soffice as I suggested, you can do the Debian
menus without needing to make modifications - just go ahead and assume that
the scripts sort themselves out if the user selects them for the first time.

Thanks again,
Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany