Re: [dev] Re: Some Issues regarding Debian versus OOo versions and Support?

Hi Peter,

> > You own Java policy says if the software can be compiled with a free
> > compiler (and lists Jikes and guavac specifically as an example of
> > that) it is okay, so you should be able to use that to do the compiles
> > for the class files.
> >
> > What am I missing here?
>
> 1). If program depends (or build-depends) on non-free software it
>   sucks and cannot get in to main part of debian.

Yes but Jikes is free software (your java policy even lists it )and Jikes
(IBM's free java in source and beer compiler) can be used to compile the
classes for the java code that is in OOo.

> 2). OpenOffice's java code needs to be compiled with non-free java
>   classes, because AFAIR, it cannot be compiled with any free (in
>   sense of speech) compiler and classes.

Huh, isn't Jikes exactly that?

> 3). We want OpenOffice to get into main.
>
>         \/
> 4). We need to remove java from oo.
>
> Same with gpc.
>
> All words ``free'' that were used in this letters were mentioned in
> sense of free speech, not free beer (refer to http://fsf.org/).

Yes, that is understood, but Jikes is free in both speech and beer and is
even listed on your site.  It should not be that much work to install
Jikes and create a symlink from jikes to javac to see how much of the
current OOo build could be done with jikes as the main compiler.

Perhaps it won't work but it should be worth a try.

Kevin