Re: [users] 1000 users: Windows install

Matt Johnson wrote:
Hi folks,

I currently have OpenOffice installed on RedHat 8
across three different schools. Now, there is an
opportunity to spread it on to the Windows boxes...

BUT I can't go to the management and suggest that each
child setup their own installation - some of these
kids are 5 y/o. It's not that they can't do it, but
the transition from MS Office should be a little
easier from a teacher's point of view. If I understand
correctly, a user must run an install (even /net
install) on each workstation they wish to use it on.
This maybe false. Well, even with the /net install, it
seems there's work to do by the user. Is their any way
round this. Can I do it en mass? What do I put where?
We use a linux server with Samba for the PDC. I can
script any files that need copying to home directories
or whatever.

Any suggestions much appreciated, and I would begin a
rollout in three schools in the next month! That's
another 1000 kids using it daily. Bring it on...

--
Matt Johnson

Hello Matt,
I manage a 130 pc engineers school, the server is samba/Linux Debian and clients are multiboot NT4/Debian.
I dont know if it is the better solution, but here is my solution:
- I connect myself one time under nt4 pc client with roaming profile under a test user.
- I run manualy the first openoffice setup.
- I copy to the server in one of the directories of "netlogon":
. the openoffice profile created by openoffice "openoffice.org1.0.1"
. The file "sversion.ini" (must be copied on the NT roaming profile somewhere, if not openoffice setup will restart each time)
. the .lnk file in some directory like start/program/start, to start
automatically the blue icon in the task bar.

- Then, in logon.bat, for each login user, if the openoffice directory
does not exist, and the others files, copy them in the good place as
you can see in the test user.

- With this solution, it works very well for me !

- Unfortunately, I don't know how to do it under a linux client !

- I would as to the developpers if there is a better solution, even if
it is on the next version of openoffice, to avoid all this work.
IT should be better to do this work on the server part, just one
time and avoid all this mess.
- If possible, also for linux clients.

Effectively, it is quite impossible to ask non advanced users to
run the setup utility. It is very important to provide this
functionnality if you want to spead OpenOffice to everyone !

excuse me for cross posting, but i think this is too important.

Thank you very much for your answers
Manuel

Manuel Segura
ESCPI - CNAM