Re: OOo Writer shows ? instead of "

On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 04:48, Thomas Krennwallner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My Writer shows the character ? instead of " in some fonts and fontsizes.
> I recently changed OOo from english menu to the german one and now all
> documents (that have a " inside) aren't displayed correctly.
>
> With the Times font, only fontsizes 6,7,8 and 12 are display correctly.
> With Charter at least 14 is working (I haven't tested more sizes).
>
> I also tried a different debian woody installation (with english
> menu), but the problem also occurs there.
>
> Following packages are installed:
> openoffice.org 1.0.1-5+woody.2
> openoffice.org-bin 1.0.1-5+woody
> openoffice.org-help-de 0.20020222-1.1
> openoffice.org-l10n-de 1.0.1-5+woody
> openoffice.org-l10n-en 1.0.1-5+woody
> openoffice.org-spellcheck-de-at 20020505-4
> openoffice.org-spellcheck-de-de 20020505-4

Is this list of packages useful without font packages?  The problem is
most likely to be a font issue in that some fonts don't support smart
quotes.

If it helps, here is the list of packages I currently have installed
containing the word 'font' (I rarely see this problem in OpenOffice
myself):

dfontmgr freefont gfontview gsfonts gsfonts-other gsfonts-x11 gtkfontsel
libming-fonts-openoffice msttcorefonts psfontmgr ttf-freefont
x-ttcidfont-conf xfont-nexus xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-abi
xfonts-artwiz xfonts-base xfonts-intl-european xfonts-intl-phonetic
xfonts-jmk xfonts-pex xfonts-scalable xfonts-scalable-nonfree
xfonts-terminus

No doubt this is overkill, and you would probably want some more
European character set fonts in there, but I hope that list is useful.

Regards,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for free with http://survey.net.nz/