Locales names in OOo

As you all know, the problem with OOo not keeping localization settings is now clear (at least to me) :-)
It is due to OOo's strange handling of locales names.
I figured out that forcing a translation in /usr/bin/openoffice from "fr_FR" to "fr-FR" solves the problem (cfr my previous e-mails about this problem). The problem is that we cannot make such a translation for every single locale name OOo and Debian support.

Could someone explain why the problem happens only in that part of OOo (localisation settings), and maybe fix this?

Regards