Re: Desktop integration for distributions [was debian-openoffice Announcing OpenOffice.org 1.0.1]

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

There just has to be a better way than having every distribution and OOo
itself doing something different which will make support and upkeep
unmanageable.

Let's think about the very basics for a second (go back to first
principles) and see if there is some common ground we can use:

1. Where exactly under Linux should OpenOffice.org be installed? Are there
official guidelines?  Is this /opt or /usr/bin or what?  Does this differ
from distribution to distribution?

What about other Unix (Solaris, FreeBSD, MacOSX, etc?

2. More specifically, where should all of the pieces of OpenOffice.org be
installed?  Are there specific directories ... /usr/share/ and /etc/ ...
that we could all agree on and what goes there.

To help guide this discussion, could you tell me where you put the various
pieces of OOo in your latest Debian versions (including workstation
pieces)?  Perhaps someone from Mandrake could add their info as well.  I
heard that OOo was part of the alpha RedHat releases as well.  Does anyone
know where they are placing the pieces.

3. What additional pieces would augment or help OOo under Linux (and other
Unixes)?

- fonts - ghostscript urw fonts
- any ttf free fonts around?
- templates, HowTo's etc

How / where  would these be installed?

4.  How does Debian currently handle localizations for languages?  it makes
no sense for people to have to download a German build, an English build,
etc.  People should be able to post install all localizations, shouldn't
they?

Pehaps we should be splitting installation approaches completely based on
platforms, WIN users may expect something very simialr to what exists now.
Mac OSX might want to use a similar graphical approach as well albeit
looking differently, Linux may want to use dpkg, and rpm based approaches,
and Solaris, Irix, etc may have different ideas.

Either way, we need to rethink how installation is done in general and
perhaps have platform-centric installers built as part of the OOo build
process.

Comments, Ideas, rants, and Raves all welcome?

Hamburg developers, what are your long term plans for installation
approaches?

What do people think?

Kevin