Re: OpenOffice conflicting with GNOME Session Manager (only version 2?)

Hi Gary,

Sorry for having forgotten about this issue.  I've come back to it and
experimented together with Richard Eckart who was running GNOME 1.4, and on
my machine with KDE installed.  I like your idea to use readlink;
debianutils is essential anyway so that's not a problem.

On my KDE system, ps -pID -ocmd --no-heading is really wierd:

$ ps  -p29289 --no-heading -ocmd
ksmserver --restore

But using readlink in /proc/PID/exe is much better:

$ readlink -f /proc/29289/exe
/usr/bin/ksmserver

To avoid problems if someone doesn't have /proc mounted, I added a test for
the link /proc/PID/exe before using it, so now I have:

SMPID=`echo $SESSION_MANAGER | sed --quiet "s,local.*/,,p"`
if [ -n "$SMPID" ] && [ -L /proc/"$SMPID"/exe ]; then
  SESMGR="`readlink -f /proc/$SMPID/exe`"
  if [ "$SESMGR" = "/usr/bin/gnome-session" ]; then
      echo "Gnome session manager detected - session management disabled"
      unset SESSION_MANAGER
  fi
fi

Does that work properly on your system too?

> I doubt it's actually
> specific to GNOME2 at all...

Yes it is, and is due to the default setting of --purge-delay, which is 15
seconds and on many machines shorter than it takes OpenOffice to come up
first time, which causes gnome-session to tell OOo to quit.