Re: [porting-dev] Fwd: [interface-announce] required/SRX643 : SRX643 needs Java 1.4

Kevin ...

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 10:55:28AM -0400, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:
>Being able to build everything with jdk 1.3.1 would certainly be a step
>forward.

Agree

>I have heard that JDK 1.4 Hotspot has an "Interpreter only" mode and I will
>try to push hard to get that ported to ppc Linux via Blackdown over the
>Summer but  I am not sure how much work will be there and what other
>platforms effected by this will do.

Because of the support of powerpc-linux port of OpenOffice.org is it
nessassary to be sure, that Java1.4 would work OK. If this works not on
ppc, we will run into problems.
But, maybe I'm wrong, but this is important for other ports as well.

>In general adding ANY new features via Java is probably not a good thing:
>Here's why I belive that:
>1. We already get push back from distributions who diasble these features
>since Java is not free softrware (Debian).

That is a big,biig problem. Sorry, my opinions are more politicle, but
OpenOffice.org is _the_ office-suite lgpl'ed licensed at all. No others,
like K-Office/Gnome-Office, have the feature like OpenOffice.org.
So I think, it is important to get OpenOffice.org as free as possible of
non- free software. OpenOffice.org is not free with the
build-dependencies on Java and GPC.

>2. We have lots of users who think OOo is slow because it uses Java and
>want to know why they need to add it.

I have to be honest, I don't know, what in OpenOffice.org needs Java.

>3.  We have ports that do not have access to Sun Java virtual machines.
MIPS, for Example, Alpha?

>4. We have header problems from the gcc free java compiler/virtual machine
>gcj

Is it possible, to use gcj/gij instead of Java? What about the support
of the GNU- Tools?

	regards
		Jan

--
  .''`.    Jan-Hendrik Palic     |
 : :' : ** Debian GNU/ Linux **  |   ** OpenOffice.org **         ,.. ,..