display problems on unstable

Hello list.

I maintain a Linux box for a friend of mine who uses it to run her home office. She uses OO for all of her wordprocessing needs.

Recently, I installed OO from the 1.0.0-3 deb package. When I start the app, I end up with a window that shows part of another window inside it with a separator bar halfway. One half shows a tall button with a down arrow on the right side. This window cannot be rescaled.

When I enlarge the outer window, I get to see part of the menu bar items [File, Edit, View, &c.] and the status bar. All these have greatly exaggerated height.

If I click anywhere, all I get is beeps.

This would suggest that what I see is a modal window of some kind. However, pressing <enter> or <esc> doesn't have any effect.

The only recourse I have is to kill OO. It then displays a smaller window saying things about my files being recoverable [or something to that effect]. Again, this window has exaggerated height. When I rescale it, I find a tall OK button at the bottom.

I run the same setup on my own machine and have no problems whatsoever, the only difference between the two [as far as I can see] being the hardware.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Please CC me as I am not subscribed.

l8R lES
--
Sharing information with competitors can damage national security. [...] Some m$
code is so flawed it cannot be safely disclosed.