Re: linguistic split in kit (make it yourself;)

Hi Martin,

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 08:57:56AM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> What are the show stopper before the -4 version ?

   Waldi discovered a build problem which needs a patch, and I was sort of
   wondering about the modifications to the openoffice wrapper, although we can
   leave that if that's OK with you.

> I have the same problem for ca and fi here.

Maybe those languages are not part of 1.0?

> I think you can't generate the control from the rules, because
> dpkg-buildpackage reads the control before launching the rules. You need to
> add the control file in the package source, too.

Yes, I added it to the clean rule, so it will get generated if it is out of
date, just before building the source package.

> What dependency did you put ? I guess you didn't like my versionned
> dependancy from any lang pack to the main package, with exactly the same
> version. Sadly, I guess it's needed since the format of the lang pack will
> change from 641 to 642...

In the language pack:
Depends: openoffice.org (>=1.0.0-3.4pre3)

I relaxed the dependency to make sure we don't have to upload 300Mb of
packages every time there is a new openoffice.org package.

In a move from 641 to 642, the openoffice.org package can conflict with
older langugage packs, but I do not know what version number that will be
yet.

I also made the language packs provide the virtual package
openoffice.org-l10n, and openoffice.org has a depends on:

    openoffice.org-l10n-en | openoffice.org-l10n

So that any language pack can be installed, English preferred.  I tried
uninstalling -en and installing -de, and got the user interface in German.
Also, the list of packages providing openoffice.org-l10 makes it easy to see
the available languages in package selection frontends.

I also removed the shlibdeps variable from the -i10n-* depends.

> Both the base package and the bin one seem almost too small to me. Did you
> manage to install the resulting packages ?

Yes.  I split the English language out, too, to reduce the size of future
openoffice.org uploads, and make it possible to switch interface language.
The size of openoffice.org-4 + -i10n-en + -bin is the same as the size of
openoffice.org-1.0.0-3.

> I need to look again at the wrapper, since it does too much stuff in
> instdb.ins, I think, and since it is not suffisent to get the help in french
> (which exists). I guess I'll look that after the -4 release.

OK, thanks.  There still seem to be some problems with the language pack
generation.  In particular, I spotted these files that don't get put in the
language packs; I added them to the install list for the openoffice.org
package, but only the English language files:

usr/lib/openoffice/program/resource/iso64101.res
usr/lib/openoffice/share/wordbook/english/sun.dic
usr/lib/openoffice/share/wordbook/english/th_en_US.dat
usr/lib/openoffice/share/wordbook/english/th_en_US.idx
usr/lib/openoffice/user/wordbook/en_US.aff
usr/lib/openoffice/user/wordbook/en_US.dic
usr/lib/openoffice/user/wordbook/hyph_da.dic
usr/lib/openoffice/user/wordbook/hyph_de.dic
usr/lib/openoffice/user/wordbook/hyph_en.dic
usr/lib/openoffice/user/wordbook/hyph_ru.dic

> I may also look at the dictionnary integration once the wrapper is fully ok.

Thank you :)

Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany
Yahoo:hagga12000 ICQ:36940860 MSN:chris.halls@nikocity.de