(my) thoughts about spliting the localization of the package

Hello,

Last time, I submitted a new version of the wrapper, so that openoffice uses
the localization of the UI, if present. Today on IRC, we spoke about getting
the needed files installed. As you requested, here is the summary of what we
said:

Remember, it's just a bunch of ideas. There is no "official" proposal here.
Take with a grain of salt. And so on.

here is the list of the packages:
openoffice.org: architecture dependant files
openoffice.org-common: architecture independant files (may be splitted
                       further in gallery, and so on)
And then, a plenty of packages containing each a part of the localization
for a given language. They are of the form
openoffice.org-{ui,ui-extra,lex}-{de,fr,sp,...}

ui: only the ui localization for one language. (about 5Mb each)
ui-extra: the help files and the templates (ie, automatic format of
          documents) (about 21Mb ; 20 for help, one for template )
lex: dictionnary, hyphenisation, grammar, autotext (we have no definitiv
     idea on this yet, since it's not clear for us how it should be packaged)

Since there is 18 languages in OO sources right now, you get 54 localization
package. Plus the two above, you get 56.

This might be seen as overkill, but remeber that netscape comes in more than
30 packages, and is far smaller than OO is.

Any ui-extra will depend on the corresponding ui, and I don't know about lex
ones (as I said, we don't have a clear point of view of how to package it
yet).
Any ui will depend on the openoffice.org
openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-common

To avoid tweaking with the virtual packages ui (provided by each ui-lang),
and dependency from openoffice.org on this virtual package, I think we can
(and should) put the english localization in the base package, just as it is
done now.

That's were I stand with my thinking, here is how I plan to implement this:

The control file is becoming so big that I think I'll generate it
automatically, using a shell script or such (haggai idea).

Then, at the end of the rule file, I will move all the
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/resource/*641<langcode>.res file to the
corresponding ui package.

Once the ui packages are done, I'll think about the ui-extra ones. And
afterward, I'll have a look at what mandrake did for dictionnaries, and how
we can adapt it in debian case.

One more time, this is no official proposal, but the state of my thinking
(reviewed on IRC).

Thanks, Mt.