java and oo can work!

Hello,
    I looked back through April mailing list archive for this group
and am extremely puzzled by some declarations being made that java
was disabled in the debian-openoffice builds. That is definitely not
true at all. Java applets can work fine. You have just annoyed users
by hiding the toggle to enable it. For example, on my debian ppc sid
machine with Stephen Zander's new jre 1.3.1-2 packages installed if
I use openoffice to run openoffice.org, the program automatically
configures my account for running openoffice.org but java applet support
is disabled. HOWEVER, if I go into .openoffice in my account, run setup
to remove all of the oo files from my account and then manually run
/usr/lib/openoffice/programs/setup I get the normal gui setup program.
In there, when asked to identify the jre, I browse to /usr/lib/j2se/1.3
and the debian-openoffice recognized the jre and uses it. I can
then open the j2sdk 1.3 clock demo html and see the applet load inside
openoffice.
    So again you guys are NOT disabling java support in openoffice but
merely hiding it. I see no reason why you can't adjust the openoffice
script to check for the jre directory and enable java in each users
account. Again this does NOT make openoffice.org require java in anyway
shape or form. It simply allows the program to take advantage of it.
Thanks in advance for considering this request.
                       Jack