java and openoffice.org 1.0-3

Hello,
   Now that I have the font issue sorted out I decided to
test the latest debian ppc jdk packages that Stephen Zander
released...

deb http://people.debian.org/~gibreel/debian sid  main non-free
deb-src  http://people.debian.org/~gibreel/debian sid  main non-free

He used a new build of j2sdk 1.3.1 which I did that is linked
against a -fPIC libXm.a so that openoffice java applet support
works. I tested this against Kevin Hendrick's OpenOffice 1.0
build. I am having trouble getting the debian openoffice.org
package to do the same. I noticed that it never asked me
where the java environment was when I ran openoffice as a user
the first time. Do you guys have java disabled? The location
of Stephen's java enviroment in his package is...

/usr/lib/j2se/1.3

Shouldn't we have this path checked in the openoffice.org packages
and java enabled if it is present? I tried running setup from
.openoffice in my account but I was only presented with the choice
of deinstalling it from my account. Should I deinstall it and run
setup again so I can select the j2re? Thanks in advance for any
hints.
                   Jack