Re: Status of work on OpenOffice

Hello!

I want to say, that you're talking about  big problems that  can happen
in future. We need to make usable openoffice  packages now. Frankly
speaking, openoffice package that I've  released  on ~nidd/debian/unstable
is buildable by autobuilder.

If you could help us with making this package (good postinst/prerm scripts
registering components??), you are welcome. But your words  about ``future
problems'' are not really  helpful for us.

Sorry, if my letter seems to be offensive, it's not true.

"Bernhard R. Link" <brl@pcpool00.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> * Jan-Hendrik Palic <jan.palic@linux-debian.de> [011028 12:33]:
> > Peter has made a picture [2] with the builddependency- tree, that shows us,
> > splitting the source is impossible.
> > [2] http://www.altlinux.ru/~nidd/oo/oo-components-depends.psz
>
> Wow, I had expected an much more complex tree. If you remove everything
> that should be replaced by in the final packages with the libraries
> supplied with debian, than there is not that much remaining.
>
> I had expected quite an mess, but it seems to have clear hirachies. I
> think most bejond the "odk" (Meta-)Package can be put in 2-5 Packages
> (perhaps also in 1, but I think if people adopt the odk for other
>  projects, they will be glad to get it in reasonable sub-packages),
>
> The parts around the "chaos" might be worth to investigate, perhaps
> there will be some work upstream about this.
>
> I still think splitting the source in packages is the way to go for
> OOo in the long run. Upstream is modular, and reflecting this in
> the packaging will help the builders and perhaps allowing other
> odk-software to be packages easily. (If it will exist some day).

Please,  can you be more verbose? I still don't understand  why splitting
source in several source packages will help. It won't help  autobuilders
anyhow. I don't see  any matter  to do  it, and  it is quite hard to do.
Could describe  your point  of view in details?

> In the meantime I think it is an good idea if we have one or some packages,
> that are not that much changed from upstream, as it fullfills an need
> for them, that is somewhat urgent.
> As these packages will most likely not work together with the
> autobuilders (they do not have /proc mounted in the chroot, do they?)
Of  course they do!

--
Peter Novodvorsky     http://www.altlinux.ru/    AltLinux Team, Russia
Debian.Org                                       http://debian.org/~nidd