Re: Package partitioning?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> I followed some of the packaging discussion on deb-user, apologies if
> this has already been covered.
>
> What is current thinking on how OO should be packaged?  I don't think
> that one large package would be either practical or desireable.   I've
> followed StarOffice, that bloated stuck pig of an office suite [1], &
> OpenOffice discussions for a while, and my understanding is that the OO
> folk actively *want* to segement the suite into its constituent
> components.

OOo is quite modular and I think there is consens to make it modular.

I prefer doing an 1:1 mapping OO.o modules to debian packages.
(Note that this mean *many* packages).

> IMVAO, package development, let alone use, is going to be greatly
> facilitated by splitting this monster up into constituent pieces.  It's
> also possible that practical use of the OO data format interchange
> libraries [2] would be made far easier.

I think the underlying odk should make it quite possible to track this
down.
I'm currently trying to get idlc build using autoconf, including
modules libsal,libsalhelper,libstore,libregistry.
But there seem to be some problem with g++ and constructors of non-dynamic
objects on the stack.

To show what the '*many*' before meant, this would already mean
packages
libsal,libsal-dev,libsalhelper,libsalhelper-dev,libstore,libstore-dev,
libregistry,libregistry-dev and idlc.

> I can't admit to any great understanding of the OO codebase.  Seems
> however that packages might be divvied up as follows:
>
> Collectively:  openoffice-apps, with deps of:
>     openoffice-common

I have not yet looked into this high-level things. But as I understan the
conecpt of the odk, it should be feasable to install the components as
normal packages.

> To the extent that various conversion libraries could be singled out,
> they would be seperated from the above, listed as deps, and we'd have a
> set of document conversion libraries:

I do not have looked into the convertors. But I think thay are simply
plugins in odk using openoffice-api, so that making own packages would
be quite natural.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link