Octave 6.4 or 7 for next transition?

Hi,

After 4 months of waiting in the NEW queue, octave 6.4 has finally been
accepted in experimental (after I pinged ftpmasters on irc).

So we could now request a transition slot before uploading it to
unstable (because there was a SONAME bump in octave 6.3, and unstable
currently has 6.2).

However, upstream has already started the release process for version
7. The first release candidate, versioned 7.0.90, is available for
testing.

So an alternative path would be to forget about having 6.4 in unstable,
upload 7.0.90 in experimental soon, and plan for the transition when
7.1.0 is released. That would spare us a transition.

I think the only other factor to take into account is Ubuntu. The next
Ubuntu release (Jammy Jellyfish, 22.04) will be a LTS, and the Debian
Import Freeze will be on February 24. If Octave 7.1.0 is released early
enough, we may complete the transition before that date, but there is
no guarantee, and if we fail that means that Ubuntu 22.04 LTS will ship
with Octave 6.2. Alternatively, if we start the Octave 6.4 transition
now, we could have at least Octave 6.4 in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

I personally don’t use Ubuntu, so my preferred solution is to skip the
6.4 release and jump directly to version 7. But I’d like to hear your
opinion.

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot