Re: Ignoring top-level files [was: Re: Rename master branch to main]

Le samedi 07 août 2021 à 12:45 +0200, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :
> * Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2021-08-07 12:09]:
> >
> > Having restored the .gitignore of octave, I realize that it excludes
> > only files that are under debian/ (with the exception of backup files
> > *~, which could arguably also be changed to debian/*~). So this
> > particular .gitignore file could actually be moved to
> > debian/.gitignore, and we would no longer need merge-mode=merge.
> >
> > So do we really want to ignore files in the top-level directory?
>
> I think that ignoring files in the top-level directory is just a
> convenience for avoiding spurious warning and error messages in "gbp
> pull" and "git status" in a post-build package directory. This can be
> avoided by running :
>
>     ./debian/rules clean ; quilt pop -af
>
> After this, if there are are still files left outside the debian/
> directory, then they should be included in debian/clean.

Also note that in my experience, the .pc directory still needs to be
removed by hand. See the discussion in https://bugs.debian.org/795797
(for some people it seems that “quilt pop -a” removes the .pc
directory, but I never experienced this behaviour).

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer