Re: Status of the Octave 6 transition

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2020-12-30 21:25]:

Since there is no indication that version 6.1.1 of Octave will be released before the freeze of bullseye, I prepared a new “upstream” version of the the octave package based on the sources from the Mercurial repository. I did it in Git (commit fdf51415) but did not upload the package. The “upstream” was obtained by running "make dist-gzip" from the stable branch of the Mercurial repo.

I prepared the package for upload to experimental, but I am not sure about the version number. Since the Mercurial sources have already "6.1.1" as version number, I set the version number as 6.1.1~hg.2020.12.27 (27 December 2020 is the date of the last commit to teh stable branch).

With this version of the package, octave-stk builds perfectly.

I have also prepared in Git the other packages that were left aside from the octave-6 transition, namely octave-interval and octave-level-set. Those packages have some failing BISTs, that I transformed into xtest and some error tests that I simply commented out. I think that the bugs are caused by regressions in Octave, but the packages are mosttly functional.

And, also, octave-vibes builds fine against the version of octave-interval that is now in Git.

If there are no objections, I will upload the new versions of octave, octave-stk, octave-interval, octave-level-set and octave-vibes. I think that it will be better to upload octave to experimental and test it there are regressions that affect the depending packages currently in unstable.

I uploaded version 6.1.1~hg.2020.12.27 to experimental and checked all the packages that build-depend on octave or dh-octave. They all build fine against the new version of the octave package, besides psychtoolbox-3, which has some issues. However, I just realized that this package has never been built against octave 6. I will investigate this later.

Since the bullseye freeze deadline is approaching, we should make a plan regarding the uploading of this new version to unstable, as well as those for the remaining packages which are stuck (stk, interval, level-set and vibes).

Best,

Rafael Laboissière