Re: Status of the Octave 6 transition

* Julien Bect <julien.bect@centralesupelec.fr> [2020-12-21 10:43]:

Le 12/12/2020 à 14:20, Julien Bect a écrit :
Le 12/12/2020 à 13:55, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :
– octave-interval, octave-stk: These packages FTBFS due to a
regression bug in Octave 6.1.0.  It seems that there is a trivial
patch for fixing it¹.

Actually, it seems that there are several regressions affecting octave-stk :

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=59340

The patch that you indicate would hopefully fix one of them, but perhaps not the others.

The regressions affecting octave-stk have been fixed upstream : https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59340 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59340>.

Thanks, Julien.  I confirm this information.

Since there is no indication that version 6.1.1 of Octave will be released before the freeze of bullseye, I prepared a new “upstream” version of the the octave package based on the sources from the Mercurial repository. I did it in Git (commit fdf51415) but did not upload the package. The “upstream” was obtained by running "make dist-gzip" from the stable branch of the Mercurial repo.

I prepared the package for upload to experimental, but I am not sure about the version number. Since the Mercurial sources have already "6.1.1" as version number, I set the version number as 6.1.1~hg.2020.12.27 (27 December 2020 is the date of the last commit to teh stable branch).

With this version of the package, octave-stk builds perfectly.

I have also prepared in Git the other packages that were left aside from the octave-6 transition, namely octave-interval and octave-level-set. Those packages have some failing BISTs, that I transformed into xtest and some error tests that I simply commented out. I think that the bugs are caused by regressions in Octave, but the packages are mosttly functional.

And, also, octave-vibes builds fine against the version of octave-interval that is now in Git.

If there are no objections, I will upload the new versions of octave, octave-stk, octave-interval, octave-level-set and octave-vibes. I think that it will be better to upload octave to experimental and test it there are regressions that affect the depending packages currently in unstable.

Please, tell me what you think.

Best,