Re: Octave 6 transition

Le mardi 08 décembre 2020 à 07:18 +0100, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :

> Almost all issues have been addressed and the fixed packages have been
> uploaded to experimental. The only packages that cannot be fixed are
> octave-interval and octave-stk, due to a regression in Octave 6.1
> regarding object-oriented function dispatching [1], and octave-vibes,
> that build-depends on octave-interval.
>
> We could wait for an patch from upstream Octave that will fix the problem
> and apply it to our version 6.1.0, which is in experimental now.
> Otherwise, we could go ahead with the "broken" version of Octave and do
> not migrate interval, stk and vibes to testing.  I am afraid the first
> solution will arrive soon enough for bullseye.

Also note that there is another regression that affects Dynare.¹

The Release Team has given the green light for beginning the
transition.

So what do we do? Should we upload 6.1.0 to unstable, and hope that
patches will arrive in time? Or shall we wait?

Note that if a 6.2.0 is released, it should be possible to upload it
until the beginning of March (the Hard freeze begins on 2021-03-12,
octave is a key package, and there is a 10-day migration delay).
Moreover, it should be possible to upload targeted fixes after that
date.

So I’m in favour of starting the transition, even though this is
obviously a bet on the speed at which the regressions will be fixed.

Please give your opinion.

¹ https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59597

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot