Re: Help packaging an octave toolbox

On 6/20/20 1:35 PM, Rafael Laboissière wrote:
* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2020-06-20 10:54]:

I will take a look at your packages as time permits.  Two general remarks:

thanks for the comments. I also saw the edits in the repos, will definitely use these updated files as template for my future packages/

1) I strongly recommend that you bump the debhelper compatibility level to 13.

my computer is running a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, the highest compat version that I can install is 12 - compat-13 is only available with the latest non-LTS versions (tried, and several additional packages are missing).

one workaround is to install a Debian virtual machine, however, if you, or anyone, are aware of any documentation or ppa that one could install compat-13 on Ubuntu 18.04, that would be fantastic

2) It would be great to add unit tests to the package, that could be exercised at build time and also be used by debian-ci/autopkgtest.

will look into this - may take some time to learn and setup, but I am sure it is worthwhile.

Another remark:

3) You, as the upstream author, could provide signatures and signed upstream tarballs.  These could be verified by the Debian package.

forgive my slowness - any tutorial on this would be great!

I applied gpg sign-key for the dsc file before uploading to mentors, are you suggesting me to run the sign-key command before gbp import-dsc?

4) Since you are the upstream author of zmat/jnifit/jsonlab, please consider removing the .gitignore and .gitmodule files from the upstream tarballs, when you will do the next upstream releases.

sure, will add it in my script when creating _orig.tar.gz from the github release tarball.

Qianqian