Re: Buster freeze and the DOG packages

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2018-12-30 18:09]:

I think that we have followed a tacit policy of only uploading versions that actually fix bugs or that correspond to new upstream versions.

However, almost all of the DOG packages have accumulated many changes in Git that are not yet released, mainly related to more recent Standards-Version and to newer debhelper compatibility levels.

I am wondering whether we should release new versions of our packages with those accumulated changes before the Buster freeze, whose timeline is:

 2019-01-12 – Transition freeze
 2019-02-12 – Soft-freeze
 2019-03-12 – Full-freeze

I went around and uploaded 67 of the packages maintained by the DOG. It was done in a semi-automatic way and I hope that I have minimally screwed up things. The changes accumulated in Git are flushed now and all the uploaded packages have migrated to debhelper compat level 12.

The following packages have been left out of this mass-upgrade:

 - octave-odepkg: FTBFS against Octave 4.4
 - octave-ocs: Depends on octave-odepkg
 - octave-tisean: FTBFS against Octave 4.4 (unit test failures)
 - dynare: Lintian issue doc-base-file-references-missing-file
 - octave: Better keeping off of this automated upgrade