Re: Upgrade Standards-Version to 4.3.0

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2018-12-29 18:54]:

[snip]

The dwz command fails because the respective *.oct files are lacking the .debug_info section.

Now, I have not investigated the DWARF format neither I understand why the dwz would be necessary for the Octave-related packages. At any rate, I do not see why the dwz should fail when the .debug_info section is not present in the *.oct files. We might, for instance add the following override in debian/rules:

override_dh_dwz: -dh_dwz -O--buildsystem=octave

Indeed, this fixes the problem, but I am not sure about the side effects.

If we go down this road, it would be preferable to make this change globally in dh-octave. However, I have no idea on how to accomplish this. Suggestions are welcome.

It is actually quite trivial to implement this in dh-octave:

https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/dh-octave/commit/4e5ad258c6d223d35fab7a13f77eb1edcc1f2022

The above commit was done in a side branch (dwz-no-fail), because I am not sure it is appropriate. The problem is that, even though the impacted packages build correctly against the version of dh-octave containing the above "fix", there are problems with the *-dbgsym package. For instance, this is what Lintian says about the octave-octproj package:

W: octave-octproj-dbgsym: empty-binary-package
X: octave-octproj-dbgsym: package-contains-no-arch-dependent-files
I: octave-octproj-dbgsym: package-contains-empty-directory usr/lib/debug/.dwz/x86_64-linux-gnu/

This situation is probably not acceptable.

A possible fix for the problem is to patch the upstream sources, removing the "-s" option that is passed to the mkoctfile command in the Makefile. We might also forward the patch and ask the package authors to integrate it upstream. What do you think?