Policy 4.2.0

Version 4.2.0 of the Debian Policy has been recently released. There are two items in the checklist that may concern the DOG packages:

4.9
  The package build should be as verbose as reasonably possible. This
  means that "debian/rules" should pass to the commands it invokes
  options that cause them to produce maximally verbose output.

4.9.1
  New "terse" tag that can appear in "DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS" to make a
  package build less verbose.

Since the build infrastructure is based on debhelper, I hope that the points above will eventually be implemented into the debhelper scripts.

However, as regards dh_octave_check, which is an extra script introduced by the dh-octave package, the first recommendation above is followed (by default, the tests are run with the "verbose" option), but not the second one.

In order to comply with the new Policy, I changed dh_octave_check in commit 35116d0 [1] such that, if the environment variable DH_OCTAVE_TEST_OPT is not set and the environment variable DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS contains the term "terse", then the tests will be run in "quiet" mode. Notice that the variable DH_OCTAVE_TEST_OPT has precedence over DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS.

If you agree with this change, I will upload a new version of dh-octave and bump the Standards-Version of all OF packages to 4.2.0.

Rafael

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-octave-team/dh-octave/commit/35116d07d98fd28dc47b1d80fd16e0900b2d40b7