Re: Octave 4.4 transition

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2018-05-03 12:01]:

I have just uploaded Octave 4.4.0 to experimental, so we can start planning for the transition.

[snip]

Ensuring that all 'Forge packages are compatible with 4.4 could be another task (but can possibly be done as the transition unfolds).

I launched a preliminary batch for building all the OF packages against Octave 4.4. At least the following ones have failing builds:

   octave-general
   octave-image
   octave-interval
   octave-linear-algebra
   octave-miscellaneous
   octave-mpi
   octave-nan
   octave-nurbs
   octave-ocs
   octave-odepkg
   octave-parallel
   octave-sparsersb
   octave-tisean

It would be insane to fix those failures ourselves. I propose that we wait until the upstream authors release new, 4.4-compliant versions of their packages.

That said, we can start the 4.4 transition as soon as appropriate, but there will be perhaps some blockers like the ones in the above list.