Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Running Octave tests under xvfb

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2017-10-17 22:38]:

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2017-10-17 19:13]:

I recently had to disable the use of xvfb in the octave testsuite, because it was causing crashes at build time (related to the move to Qt 5) [1].

I guess that this problem will be eventually fixed and xvfb will work with Qt5.

Hence I think that simply adding gnuplot-nox as a test dependency would be a better option (also because it drags less additional dependencies); but I did not verify that it is enough to fix test failures, so I may be missing something.

This is probably a better solution, but it has the same drawbacks as the xvfb solution, as pointed out by Antonio in the other message, namely that it will add gnuplot-nox dependency to all packages (the majority of them do not need it) and that it will need an upload of autodep8 to stretch-backports in order to have the tests working on ci.d.o.

I will have a try on the solution proposed by Antonio.

After analysing all possibilities, I finally opted to add gnuplot-nox as a dependency of octave-autopkgtest. This is implemented in version 1.5.2 of octave-pkg-dev, which has been just uploaded to unstable.

The advantage of this solution is that there is no need to change ci.debian.net or the individual Octave add-on packages. The drawback is that it adds 3 Mb of binary packages (gnuplot-nox and its dependencies) to each autobuild and autopkgtest, but this is minimal compared with the size of the Octave-related packages that must be installed anyway.

I will soon upload a new version of octave-stk that takes advantage of this change and we will see whether my solution works or not.