Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] disable OSMesa in Octave?

On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 01:39:32PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2017 at 13:16:11 -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> > Octave team may want to discuss whether Octave should be built with
> > "--without-osmesa" until a proper solution can be found upstream.
> > Because it's basically a useless feature in Octave now without the
> > LD_PRELOAD hack.
>
> Should we add "--without-OSMesa" to Octave?
>
> The current situation in unstable is it is completely useless for all
> users with mesa >= 17.2 unless they run Octave with
> "LD_PRELOAD=libGLX_mesa.so.0".
>
> It has previously been known to be broken in this way for users with
> Nvidia hardware and proprietary drivers. This now applies to all Mesa
> users.
>
> Background: we have been told before by Mesa upstream that having a
> single executable attempt to use both Mesa libGL and OSMesa is not
> supported. Octave has been doing this anyway and mostly getting away
> with it. But something about the new libglvnd dispatch scheme seems to
> have broken this.
>
> A proper upstream solution will probably involve isolating OSMesa in a
> separate executable that Octave can send data to via IPC for rendering.
> Other ideas for fixing this situation are very welcome.

I am totally ignorant of all GL/Mesa stuff so I trust you to find the right
solution.

I am just wondering if an alternative to disabling OSMesa could not be to add
libGLX_mesa.so.0 to the DT_NEEDED section of the octave binary (either at
dynamic linking, or using patchelf --add-needed). Not that I have any kind of
preference for that solution, I did not even verify that it works and is
robust, just thinking…

In any case, don’t hesitate to commit what seems the right fix to you.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer