Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Future of our mailing list

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 12:49:34PM +0200, Rafael Laboissière wrote:
> This concerns us directly:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/09/msg00004.html
>
> Any ideas on how we should proceeed?

Here is my understanding of the situation. Alioth is going to be discontinued,
and we currently use it for:

1. our git repositories

2. the pkg-octave-commit@ list for commit notifications

3. the pkg-octave-devel@ list which is used for three purposes:
  3.1. as the value in the Maintainer field of our packages
  3.2. for receiving bug notifications, testing migration notifications…
  3.3. as an internal channel of communication for our team

So we need to find replacements for all of these.

The git repositories will be moved to a new host (salsa.debian.org), which will
run a gitlab instance. This host will also provide facilities for subscribing
to commit notifications.

For receiving bug notifications and the like, we should use tracker.debian.org,
which provides the possibility of subscribing to individual packages. It also
has a concept of teams which, if I understand correctly, give the possibility
of subscribing to all the packages of a team. I am going to create the Debian
Octave Group on that site to verify that it works as expected.

For our internal communication channel, my understanding is that we can request
a list on the main Debian list server. That list could for example be called
debian-octave@lists.debian.org. We could extend the scope of the list by
welcoming users that want to discuss issues related to Octave in Debian, and
also upstream developers (at least jwe and JordiGH are already subscribed to
pkg-octave-devel@). The procedure for requesting such a list is described
there:

We should not wait for too long before requesting it, since Alioth mailing
lists will be disabled in the beginning of February.

Finally there is the question of the value in the Maintainer field. I could not
yet find an answer to that. I guess a solution will emerge soon since basically
all teams have that same problem.

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot