Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] FTBFS: Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Some lucky googling turned up an upstream fix for the pkg-config issue.

http://sourceforge.net/p/plplot/plplot/ci/772223c638ecf5dc740c9f3dd7a6883c6d2c83d2/

I applied the fix to the Debian package, and attemted to build the package in raspbian stretch.

Unfortunately while that patch fixed the error in the bug report the package then failed with a different error that seems to be related to octave and/or swig.

[ 7%] Building CXX object bindings/octave/CMakeFiles/plplot_octave.dir/plplot_octaveOCTAVE_wrap.cxx.o /plplot-5.10.0+dfsg/debian/build_tmp/bindings/octave/plplot_octaveOCTAVE_wrap.cxx:1611:18: error: ‘hid_t’ has not been declared
save_hdf5 (hid_t loc_id, const char *name, bool save_as_floats)
<--snip a load of similar errors--->
/plplot-5.10.0+dfsg/debian/build_tmp/bindings/octave/plplot_octaveOCTAVE_wrap.cxx:1921:5: error: ‘DECLARE_OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR’ does not name a type
DECLARE_OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR;
^
/plplot-5.10.0+dfsg/debian/build_tmp/bindings/octave/plplot_octaveOCTAVE_wrap.cxx:1924:46: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘;’ token
DEFINE_OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR(octave_swig_packed);

Googling found some upstream discussion but no fix at http://swig.10945.n7.nabble.com/swig-3-0-6-breaks-plplot-builds-td14454.html (ignore the thread title and the first couple of posts, they ran into the octave 4 issue after fixing the swig 3.0.6 issue)

I decided to disable octave support in the raspbian stretch plplot package until it's fixed.

If/when I get a sucessful build I will upload to raspbian and post a further update to this bug. No intent to NMU in Debian.