Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Python script in latest miscellaneous package

On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 04:24:43PM +0200, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> Le lundi 09 juin 2014 à 16:05 +0200, Thomas Weber a écrit :
>
> > miscellaneous 1.2.1 include a python script (inst/physical_constant.py)
> > for downloading and converting physical constants from the NIST website.
> > Right now, the script ends up in the installation directory. Should we
> > move it into /usr/bin (or whatever the correct path for python scripts
> > is)? On the one hand, this seems to be correct, on the other hand, I
> > don't want the added overhead of dealing with the Debian Python policy.
>
> Is this python script launched from an Octave function/script, or
> directly by the user from a shell? If this is the former, then leaving
> it in the installation directory is the right thing to do. If this is
> the latter, then /usr/bin is the path mandated by the FHS (and therefore
> the Debian Policy).

AFAIK, it is not used at all in the released package, neither by a
script nor by the user during normal usage. One can use the script to
obtain updated values from NIST; but it is not clear to me if this is
indeed the intended use. In other words, physical_constants.m is
generated via physical_constants.py, when the latter is called by the
user.

	Thomas