Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Fwd: new contributor game - packaging image-aquisition

Hi Tudi,

Le jeudi 08 mai 2014 à 14:12 +0200, Le Bleis Tudi a écrit :

> sorry for not being very active. I somewhat overestimated the free
> time I would have. I am currently working (as soon as I have some free
> time) in trying to install octave 3.8.1 from the source on a freshly
> installed Debian. It is not that straight forward. Now that you are
> there, I stumbled upon the cryptic...
> Checking for FT2: ... error pkg-config not found or too old.

Why are you trying to install octave from source? You actually need to
install the Debian package for octave if you want to create a Debian
package for image-acquisition.

> The first time was somewhat correct as it was not installed. I got it
> from the rep, but I still get that. Version is 0.26, but the error
> message does not say which version I should have.
>
> I am doing that since I tried the
> octave> pkg install image-acquisistion
>
> and that said that I needed at least a version 3.8 to do that. But
> what I had from the reps were 3.6...

Ok, so maybe are you using Debian stable (wheezy)? For developing in
Debian, you need to work within Debian unstable (sid), which has Octave
3.8.

You have two options for working within unstable: either upgrade your
whole machine to unstable (possible, but some things can potentially
break, so you have to be prepared to handle that); alternatively, you
can install unstable in some container (virtual machine, lxc, chroot…)
within your existing Debian stable installation.

> I'll try my best to achieve something in the best times, sorry for
> being so slow. I might not finish in time for the 'game', but it is
> not the most important... at least for me.

Sure, the most important is to learn.

> By the way, which IRC chan would you recommand if I stumble upon some
> issues...?

There is no dedicated octave channel. We could however use
#debian-science on OFTC. I hang out there under the nickname
"sebastien". As far as I know, other Debian Octave Group are not on IRC,
so maybe email is better. This is up to you.

Cheers,

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot
: :' :    Debian Developer