Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] [RFC] patch octave to help users install auxiliary packages

* Mike Miller <mtmiller@ieee.org> [2013-08-06 09:54]:

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:33:11 +0200, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

What about a distribution-agnostic approach? This is exemplified in the simple-minded patch attached below. The distro-specific barking file would be put somewhere in the path by the package maintainers, without the need of patching upstream files. A possible barking file for Debian is also attached below.

This looks really good to me. Simple, optional integration for each distribution as needed, no knowledge forced upstream. The function can be installed in one of the site m-file paths. I like.

P.S.: I hope you do not take seriously the name that I chose for the distro-specific function, even though my proposal *_is_* serious.

Perhaps a hook function similar to missing_function_hook? This way distros can install or not install whatever named function they want to handle the error and the name doesn't even have to be hardcoded upstream.

Ok, you might try to write a more decent patch based on my idea and move this discussion upstream.

Thanks,