Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] [RFC] patch octave to help users install auxiliary packages

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:33:11 +0200, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> What about a distribution-agnostic approach?  This is exemplified in the
> simple-minded patch attached below.  The distro-specific barking file would
> be put somewhere in the path by the package maintainers, without the need of
> patching upstream files.  A possible barking file for Debian is also
> attached below.

This looks really good to me. Simple, optional integration for each
distribution as needed, no knowledge forced upstream. The function can
be installed in one of the site m-file paths. I like.

> P.S.:  I hope you do not take seriously the name that I chose for the
> distro-specific function, even though my proposal *_is_* serious.

Perhaps a hook function similar to missing_function_hook? This way
distros can install or not install whatever named function they want
to handle the error and the name doesn't even have to be hardcoded
upstream.

--
mike