Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Octave 3.0 or 3.2 in wheezy

El lun, 14-01-2013 a las 00:28 +0100, Rafael Laboissiere escribió:
> * Alberto Hamilton <alberto@isaatc.ull.es> [2013-01-13 09:42]:
> >
> > I now have a hard decision: change all my programs, change my GNU/Linux
> > distribution, or rewrite my program for a more serious and stable
> > application.
>
> There might be also another solution: just build the octave3.2 Debian
> package in your wheezy system (something like "apt-get source octave3.2 ;
> apt-get build-dep octave3.2 ; cd octave3.2-3.2.4 ; debuild -us -uc").
> That may work.
>
> Anyway, I would rather choose the first option you listed ("change all my
> programs").

Hello,

 searching Squeeze repositories I've noticed that Octave3.6 is not
available for Squeeze and, as you confirm, Octave3.2 is not available in
Wheezy. Octave 3.6, almost Control toolbox, is incompatible with 3.2.

So, even if I had known Octave's changes, I wouldn't have had a period
of time to make the changes. Not only me, but several user working in
Octave in Squeeze, when they update to Wheezy, will find that their code
becomes nonfunctional.

I think this is not the way Debian used to evolve in the past, and is
not a good way to evolve. IMHO, It's convenient to provide the users
with a time while both versions are available to allow a smooth
transition.

Alberto