Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] questions on packaging an octave toolbox

* Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins@finestructure.net> [2012-11-25 14:23]:

I have an upstream project that builds oct and mex files via swig as part of a much larger autoconf/automake build process. All of the resulting files (oct, mex, .m) are installed in usr/lib/octave. There are no octave forge packages created.

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to get those files installed in the right places. At the moment I'm trying to dynamically generate debian .dirs and .install files based on the output of `octave-config --m-site-dir` and `octave-config --m-site-dir`. This is pretty cumbersome, though.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

There are packages in Debian that provide support for Octave that are not maintained by the DOG and/or do not use the pkg mechanism. They address the same issue you are facing. This might be a source of inspiration for you. Here is a non-extensive list of such packages:

  octave-lhapdf
  octave-biosig
  wims
  sbmltoolbox
  fsl-4.1
  xmds
  sdpam
  octave-plplot
  octave-pfstools
  octave-epstk
  mwrap
  mrtrix
  cantor-backend-octave

Note that some of these packages make use of file /usr/share/octave/debian/defs.make, which is in liboctave-dev.