Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Dynare: git, matlab, testsuite

Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org> a écrit :

* John W. Eaton <jwe@octave.org> [2009-05-25 15:37]:

On 25-May-2009, Sébastien Villemot wrote:

| For the MEX functions, we have no way of linking against the Matlab
| library from pure Debian.

Do you actually need to?  I've built MEX files on a system without
Octave or Matlab, and then run the resulting MEX file with both Octave
and Matlab.  I think all you really need is a mex.h header file that
provides the declarations of the functions you will need.  The mxArray
object can be treated as a purely opaque object because all actions
that you can perform on an mxArray object are done via functions that
take pointers to mxArray objects, so you can declare mxArray as void.

Yes, that was my understanding too.  However, as you wrote:

Well, I have to look into that again. What you suggest is to create a dynamic object without giving any external library to the linker; and at runtime, Octave or Matlab would dynamically link with the correct library. I'll try this.

However, I have at least one example which must create a problem with this technique: on 64 bits platforms, the LAPACK shipped with Matlab has changed its function prototypes in Matlab 2009a. Integers in LAPACK function prototypes are 32 bits in Matlab <= 2008b, and are 64 bits in Matlab >= 2009a. So it is probably not possible to create a MEX file working for all Matlab version on 64 bits platforms, as long as this MEX file uses LAPACK functions.

--
Sébastien Villemot