Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Adding an Octave-dependent software into Debian

"John W. Eaton" <jwe@octave.org> a écrit :

On 24-Feb-2009, Sébastien Villemot wrote:

| As I told you, my current packaging builds MEX files for Matlab. This
| is not desirable nor feasible for an official Debian package, because
| of Matlab's license and also because autobuilding of the MEX files
| requires Matlab, which is not an option for Debian buildd.

Is there not a distribution of Dynare that contains only sources and
no pre-built MEX files or other libraries?  If not, then why not
create one?

You can also build MEX files for Octave, thought the native .oct files
are generally more efficient.

Hi,

Maybe my message was not clear. Dynare is already functional under Octave, since we can compile the MEX files thanks to the compatibility interface (converting the MEX to the native OCT would indeed be a good thing, if we find the time to do so). There still remain a few features which run under Matlab but not Octave, but this is far from rendering Dynare unusable/useless under Octave.

The official Debian package that I would like to create would therefore provide a fully-functional version of Dynare under Octave. However, I would like to also include in the package some additional helper scripts which would ease the installation/compilation for those wanting to run Dynare under Matlab. I was therefore wondering if such a thing was compatible with the policy and goals of the DOG.

Best,

Sébastien